Monday, March 30, 2015

April 7, 1928

While reading this first chapter, I kept asking myself why William Faulkner would make the story, told by Benjy, so confusing and intricate. At first I thought it was just to exemplify the way in which Benjy's mind works by jumping from memory to memory. It was interesting to see the focus Benjy had on senses, like smelling and hearing. By the end of the chapter, I realized that perhaps Faulkner made the first chapter so disorienting to pull the reader in. The passage being so confusing forced me to focus not on just the plot, but on the specific details. These details, like which characters were in each memory, helped me understand what was going on. Paying attention to detail also helped me notice what was actually going on in the story, not just what was on the surface.

One thing that really struck me was the cruelty Benjy receives from his family. Because of his illness,  he is at the bottom in the Compson family. Most are not able to understand or communicate with him. They do not understand the way his mind works and therefor become very frustrated with him. Although his thought process is difficult to comprehend, he is also very matter of fact. His thoughts are not distorted by him wanting to suggest or communicate something that may not be completely true. His innocence is what makes his interpretation of his life and the lives around him so accurate. It shows us that the Compson family has many faults. He doesn't over exaggerate or under exaggerate their actions. For example, when he makes references to Uncle Maury's alcoholism, he gives concrete evidence. This shows that he is not trying to suggest something, but that it is the truth.

Although he may not be able to communicate what he wants, he helps those around him realize what is right and wrong. A perfect example of this is his sister, Caddy, who is the only one that understands why Benjy gets upset and tries to fix it. The fact that he is the same age as Christ was upon Crucifixion is puzzling. Does this suggest that perhaps Benjy is a figure that brings light and hope to the Compson family? Is he some sort of sacrifice that will eventually help the Compson family?

He is very dependent and needs someone to be watching over him all the time. He needs structure and feeds off of the happiness from past memories. This could be a symbol of the idea of how important it is that family ties are strong and faithful. Could his dependence be what holds his family together? To me, Benjy seems to be a symbol that unites people, even in bad situations, and even when they don't want to be united.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. What I found to be most insightful was your description of what Benjy symbolizes, and what he means to the family. A number of your comments helped me to better understand the story and it's background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you brought up that Benjy goes from memory to memory and also say on how he focuses on his senses. I also thought it was very interesting how you brought up his role in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good observation

    ReplyDelete
  4. moderate your comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you bring up Benjy's innocence. We all know that Benjy only gives concrete facts, but I like how you bring up his innocence as a possibility for a reason for his reliability as a narrator. Also, I sympathize with you about how Benjy's family treats him. Good job!

    ReplyDelete