While reading this chapter, I found it constantly difficult to fathom how it's possible for Jason to be such a selfish and apathetic person. The opening line of the chapter is a perfect example of his character. While describing Quentin, he says, "Once a bitch always a bitch, what I say." His inability to see past peoples' imperfections is seen throughout the book. Quentin, in particular, is instantly seen as a hassle to him because she is a bastard child. He justifies his mistreatment of her with the fact that she was born out of wedlock. His stream of consciousness shows that he actually believes his cruel actions towards her are acceptable. He also has trouble with seeing Benjy as an actual human being. He despises Benjy's disability and thinks that he soils the Compson's reputation. In addition to Benjy and Quentin, he also refuses to look past Caddie's infertility. Is the bitterness he shows towards these characters purely out of spite? It seems that he can't look past his own misfortunes to understand others'.
Throughout the chapter, it is obvious that Jason actually takes pleasure in chastising others. He shows no sympathy to anyone in his family. His scheme to steal the money from Quentin that Caddie sends to her is a prime example of this. When Luster asks him for a ticket to go see the minstrel show, he burns it in front of him instead of giving it to him. Him doing this is the epitome of inhumanity. There is no reason for this action other than to torture Luster. He also takes advantage of his mother's blind love for him. The fact that she cares about him does not stop him from slowly fooling her and taking her money. He has no compassion for anyone in his life. His focus is on his social standing, and he is offended by anyone or anything that soils it. He doesn't see people as human beings, but merely as puppets whose only purposes are to increase his individual gain.
I found myself constantly wondering how Jason came to be so pessimistic and hateful. Is it the self-pity? Or was he mistreated by his family? It seems to me that his character is inherently evil, since his cruelty started at such a young age. There is a particular scene in which Caddie yells at Jason for cutting up Benjy's dolls. Perhaps no one was ever able to look out for him and raise him to be kind and loving.
Whatever it is, Jason's personality is disturbing. I wonder why Faulkner makes out Jason to be such an awful person. Perhaps it is to highlight the compassion and strength that Caddie holds. This would explain why Jason and Caddie constantly don't get along during this chapter and in others. Although it was difficult to read Jason's narrative, it gave me a better insight into other character's actions and stories, the most important being Caddie.
I personally think Faulkner does this because we see all sorts of personality traits in each chapter and I believe each human has a part of their life when they are each one of those characters
ReplyDeleteI thought that the post was very insightful, and that I shared a number of the opinions you expressed. I liked that you pointed out that not only does Jason chastise others, but he also enjoys doing so.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your opinions on Jason. He's a despicable character. Very nicely done!
ReplyDeleteYour opinions on jason are spot on! Nice analyzation!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on how Jason is completely inhumane, and I also want to know why he is this way. I think most people call him bad and leave it at that, but I am glad you wonder why he is this way.
ReplyDeleteI thought your explanations of Jason were spot on. Liked how you said Jason enjoys chastising others. Something that others did not bring up.
ReplyDeleteI agree 100% that it is unfathomable how Jason acts. His despicable attitude and actions make the chapter difficult to read. I am also curious as to why Faulkner made Jason so unlikable. Nice job!
ReplyDelete